Do Thai Medical Students Understand What Does ‘AEC’ Mean? A Cross-sectional Survey.
Background: Thai medical students are inevitably involved in the regional collaborative movement of 10 countries toward the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), this study explored how well they understand the term.
Methods: Twelve students proposed an abbreviation list, which was then rated for their difficulty level by another 55 students using a 5-point Likert scale. Three easy, three medium and three difficult abbreviations were randomly chosen and randomly listed in the final questionnaire, along with ‘AEC’. Another randomly selected 60 students were asked to write the full term of the 10 abbreviations.
Results: Of 34 abbreviations in the initial list, the selected terms were: CMCTSD, SRL, LSC, SOS, AM, LOL, WHO, USA, UK. They were correctly answered in 0, 0, 0, 6.67, 13.33, 46.67, 81.67, 96.67, and 98.33 percent, respectively. AEC was deemed moderately difficult, as 30% correctly expanded the abbreviation.
Conclusion: Majority of medical students lacked an understanding of the current AEC movement.
2. Porter ME. The competitive advantage of nations. New York: Free Press; 1990.
3. Test and Score Data Summary for TOEFL iBT Tests. Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service; 2014.
4. Johnson RB, Onwuegbuzie AJ, Turner LA. Toward a Definition of Mixed Methods Research. Journal of Mixed Methods Research. 2007;1:112-33.
5. Spearman C. The proof and measurement of association between two things. Int J Epidemiol. 2010 Oct;39(5):1137-50.
6. Chongkittavorn K. Is Thailand ready for Asean Economic Community? The Nation 2014.
7. Atagi R. Secondary teacher policy research in Asia : Secondary teacher in Thailand. Bangkok: UNESCO Bangkok; 2011.
8. Supanatsetakul N. Perceived Readiness and needs of Thai medical student in order to become an English proficient doctor. The 7th Postgraduate Forum on Health Systems and policy for the ASEAN Economic Community: "Share Visions and Goals". Faculty of Medicine, Naresuan University, Thailand 2013.
9. Kittrakulrat J, Jongjatuporn W, Jurjai R, Jarupanich N, Pongpirul K. The ASEAN economic community and medical qualification. Global Health Action 2014;7:24535.
10. Marschark M, Spencer PE. Oxford handbook of deaf studies, language, and education. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press; 2003.
11. Garnier H, Wisniewski J. Response to Medical Students' Attitudes towards Female Sex Workers. Int J Med Students. 2014 Nov-2015 Mar;3(1):73.
Copyright (c) 2018 Jathurong Kittrakulrat, Ravipol Jurjai, Witthawin Jongjatuporn, Nicha Jarupanich, Annabel Bhamani, Krit Pongpirul
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to email@example.com
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org