To Teach is to Learn
Learner centered education has been one of the major highlights that has revolutionized the teaching method in every department. While some effort has been made to better implement peer learning into the curriculum in some universities, it remains a vastly underused utility that can be employed both in and out of the classroom. Learning among, and teaching others who are at the same level of education does not only lead to enhanced memory and recall, it also develops critical real-world skills that can enhance the involved individual both professionally and academically. This article is a medical student’s perspective on encouraging peer assisted education in the healthcare environment, and a preliminary learning guide for the students who wish to implement this method of education.
2. Nechita F, Nechita D, Pîrlog M, Rogoveanu I. Stress in medical students. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2014;55(3 Suppl):1263-6
3. Ludwig AB, Burton W, Weingarten J, Milan F, Myers DC, Kligler B. Depression and stress amongst undergraduate medical students. BMC Medical Education. 2015;15:141. doi:10.1186/s12909-015-0425-z
4. Qamar K, Khan N, Bashir Kiani M. Factors associated with stress among medical students. J Pak Med Assoc. 2015;65(7), 753-755
5. McLuckie, A., Matheson, K., Landers, A., Landine, J., Novick, J., Barrett, T., & Dimitropoulos, G. The Relationship Between Psychological Distress and Perception of Emotional Support in Medical Students and Residents and Implications for Educational Institutions. Acad Psychiatry. 2017 Nov 9. doi: 10.1007/s40596-017-0800-7
6. Han E-R, Chung E-K, Nam K-I. Peer-Assisted Learning in a Gross Anatomy Dissection Course. Mihlbachler MC, ed. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(11):e0142988. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0142988
7. Alvarez S, Dethleffsen K, Esper T, Horneffer A, Reschke K, Schultz J. An overview of peer tutor training strategies at German medical schools. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes. 2017 Oct;126:77-83. doi: 10.1016/j.zefq.2017.09.009
8. De Silva NL, Parththipan B, Rodrigo C, Constantine G, Fernando SD, Rajapakse S. Peer assisted learning among Sri Lankan medical undergraduates: a cross sectional study. BMC Research Notes. 2017;10:595. doi:10.1186/s13104-017-2920-2
9. Zentz S, Kurtz C, Alverson E. Undergraduate peer-assisted learning in the clinical setting. J Nurs Educ. 2014;53(3):S4-S10. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20140211-01
10. Pegram A, Fordham-Clarke C. Implementing peer learning to prepare students for OSCEs. Br J Nurs. 2015;24(21):1060-1065. doi:10.12968/bjon.2015.24.21.1060
11. Boud D, Cohen R, Sampson J. Peer Learning in Higher Education. London: Kogan Page Limited; 2001
12. Nestojko J, Bui D, Kornell N, Bjork E. Expecting to teach enhances learning and organization of knowledge in free recall of text passages. Memory & Cognition. 2014;42(7):1038-48.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com