Advancing Research Through Early-Career Scientists’ Publications and Training the Next Generation of Medical Editors: The First 10-Years of the International Journal of Medical Students
Keywords:Medical journal, Medical student, Early-career scientist, Physician-scientist, Research, Editors, Editorial process
Liblik K, Garcia-Espinosa P, Nahian A, Chatterjee S, Găman MA, Egan C, Puyana JC, Bonilla-Escobar FJ. Medical Student Research Journals: The International Journal of Medical Students (IJMS) Legacy. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(1):9-14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1467
Bonilla-Velez J, Peña-Oscuvilca A, Sahin I, Córdoba-Grueso WS, Fernandez-Zapico ME. The International Journal of Medical Students, a Platform for Medical Student Research Worldwide. Int J Med Stud 2013;1(1):6–7 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2013.7
Bonilla-Escobar FJ. Leadership and Health: The Scientific Journal’s Mission of Spreading Science in Times of Pandemic. Int J Med Stud. 2020;8(1):9-10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2020.544
Ryan PM. More than a Manuscript: The International Journal of Medical Students as an Educational Institution. Int J Med Students. 2021;9(2):108-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.1092
Canton SP, Foley CE, Fulcher I, Newcomb LK, Rindos N, Donnellan NM. Reliability and Discriminant Validity of a Checklist for Surgical Scrubbing, Gowning and Gloving. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(1):18-24. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.1221
Srichawla BS, Khazeei Tabari MA, Găman MA, Munoz-Valencia A, Bonilla-Escobar FJ. War on Ukraine: Impact on Ukrainian Medical Students. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(1):15-17. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1468
Cholack G, Garfein J, Krallman R, Feldeisen D, Montgomery D, Kline-Rogers E, Barnes GD, Eagle K, Rubenfire M, Bumpus S. Predictors of Early (0-7 Days) and Late (8-30 Days) Readmission in a Cohort of Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(1):38-48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1058
Huang VP, Kim ME, Mohan S, Daskivich LP, Berry JL. The Utility of Recycled Eyeglasses: A Pilot Study at the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Int J Med Stud. 2021;9(1):37-40.
Huang VP, Kim ME, Mohan S, Daskivich LP, Berry JL. The Utility of Recycled Eyeglasses: A Pilot Study at the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Int J Med Stud. 2021;9(1):37-40. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.894
Bonilla-Escobar FJ, Egan C, Găman MA. Is It Worth Publishing in a Medical Students' Journal? Insights From a 10-Year Journey. Int J Med Stud. 2021;9(4):252-254. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.1309
Bonilla-Escobar FJ, Gharaibeh AK, Mires SJ, Abhishek HA. Transparency in the International Journal of Medical Students. Int J Med Stud. 2014;2(1):6-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2014.67
Verdini N, LeClair J, Quinn E, El-Haddad A. Social Determinants of Health Amplify the Association Between Ethnicity and COVID19: A Retrospective-Cohort study. Int J Med Stud. 2021;9(4):282-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.1125
Shah P, Mercalli C, Mujanovic A, Kipkorir V, Egan C, Dhali A, et al. Role of Medical Students in Disseminating Scientific Knowledge - The First IJMS WCMSR. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S151-4.
Abstracts of the 2022 American Physician Scientist Association (APSA) Northeast Regional Conference (NERC). Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S17-35.
Abstracts of the Lagos State University Medical Students Association Research Conference. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S36-8.
Abstracts of the Medical University Congress of Mogi das Cruzes, COMUMC. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S39-49.
Abstracts of the Medical Academical Conference of Piauí (COMAPI) 2021. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S50-88.
Abstracts of the 2021 Yorkshire International Imaging and Interventional Radiology Symposium at the University of Leeds. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S89-99.
Abstracts of the Medical Academical Conference of Piauí (COMAPI) 2022. Int J Med Stud. 2022; 10(Suppl 1):S100-50.
Erhabor GE, Gbakima AA, Haileamlak A, Kayembe Ntumba JM, Kigera J, Mash B, et al. COP27 Climate Change Conference: Urgent Action Needed for Africa and The World. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):344-46 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/noajnl/vdac160
Cox MJ, Komer L, Egan C, Shah PC, Tellios N, Kumar AA. Back to the Future: Medicine Beyond the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int J Med Students. 2021;9(1):9-10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2021.1023
Bandyopadhyay A, Rout AJ, Das M, Das D. Assessment of Personality Traits and Their Changes Over the Undergraduate Medical Course: A Pseudo-Longitudinal Analysis Among Indian Medical Students. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):347-52. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1331
Johnson E, Rodriguez C, Puyana JC, Bonilla-Escobar FJ. Traumatic Brain Injury in Honduras: The Use of a Paper‑based Surveillance System to Characterize Injuries Patterns. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):381-6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1384
Tachie SA, Adomokoh YD. Healthful Practices Among Blood Donors in a Low-Income Setting. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):375-80.
Hardoon V, Pierce BA, Mbanefo SC, Shah HN, Markan K, Forsythe ML. Effects of Social Distancing and Lockdown Protocols on Fatality Rates of COVID-19 in the U.S. during the First Year of the Pandemic. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):361-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1188
Skoczek AC, Ruane PW, Onley C, Haydel T, Ortega MV, Sutphin HD, Stoner AM. Comparison of Multinational Medical School Students Experiences in the Face of the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Qualitative Analysis. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):353-60. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1616
El-Jack K, Henderson K, Andy AU, Southwick L. Reddit Users' Questions and Concerns about Anesthesia. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):370-74. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1687
Simões DP, Perez MM, Alves BCA, Encinas JFA, Raimundo JRS, Arcia CGC, et al. A Cross-Sectional Study of p66Shc Gene Expression in Liquid Biopsy of Diabetic Patients. Is it Possible to Predict the onset of Renal Disease?. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):387-94. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1306
Rossi G, Fusato G, Scirocco T, Rodi P, Villa S, Raviglione MCB. Elective Courses in Global Surgery for Undergraduate Medical Students: A Narrative Review and a Proposal for European Universities. Int J Med Stud. 2022 Oct-Dec;10(4):395-404.
Campbell NC, Trippel SB, Nauman EA. Biomedical Engineering Advancements after Management of Myelomeningocele Study (MOMS): A Narrative Review. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):405-12. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1127
Kopp J, Irshaid A, Baker J, Fitzsimmons J, Lin JC. Aberrant Right Subclavian Artery: Cadaver Case Report. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):413-6. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1647
Zhen F, Yamaguto GE, Yamaguto TT, Bochnia Küster JG, Piovesan EJ. Primary Cough Headache Associated with Jugular Insufficiency: Report of Two Cases. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):417-20.
Lahiri S, Abdin R, Elimelech A, Massimilian SS, Averkiou P. The Importance of Incorporating Service-Learning Projects into the Medical School Curriculum. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):425-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1497
Amo-Tachie S. Why the Furor about Polio? Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):429-31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1490
Shah PC, Patel K, Suvarna AK, Zulfiqar A, Ashok T, Siddiqui A. Research Experience of Medical Students Collaborating in an International Peer Research Mentorship Program. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):432-5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1461
Cox MJ. Barriers for Junior Doctors to Specialize in Rural Generalism – A Medical Student Experience. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):436-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1506
Nahian A, Shepherd J, Gilder-Pierce TSV. Addressing Adversities in Caring for Mental Health in Rural Settings: A Conversation with Rural Mental Healthcare Practice Co-founder Dr. Taryn S. Van Gilder-Pierce. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):421-4. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1636
Papalois KB. ‘First, Do No Harm’… A Call to Re-evaluate the Wellbeing of Healthcare Staff. Int J Med Stud. 2022;10(4):439-41. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5195/ijms.2022.1679
- 2023-02-20 (2)
- 2022-12-31 (1)
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Sebastian Diebel, Diego Carrion-Alvarez, Wah Praise Senyuy, Marina Shatskikh, Juan C. Puyana, Francisco J Bonilla-Escobar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to email@example.com
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org