COVID-19: Not a Positive Test Result, but a Positive Outlook
Turning the page into the new year was a relief for everyone. Indeed, it was a year of loss, destruction, and unrest. But beyond all this, we can still reflect back on the tumultuous year that is 2020 and catch sight of all the good that occurred. More so, it was a year of reconnecting with lost time, friends and family. Collectively, we were able to reinvent ourselves by slowing down and appreciating what we have. As a society, we grew together - hand in hand - to battle the prejudice that still remains deeply rooted in our country. As such, we can continue to make stride for a more free and safe world for future generations. COVID-19, a virus that crippled the world, opened the world’s eyes to the atrocities that occur on a daily basis. Despite the devastating images of overworked healthcare professionals throughout the pandemic, it is encouraging that future generations have not lost faith in medicine, and are still invigorated to pursue their passion.
Bonilla-Escobar FJ, Kumar AA, Farrugia-Bonnici G, Ryan PM, Găman M-A. A Grain of Sand in the Ocean: Training New Generations of Editors, Reviewers, and Medical Scientists. Int J Med Students. 2020 Sep-Dec;8(3):213-6.
Williams DR, & Medlock MM. Health Effects of Dramatic Societal Events — Ramifications of the Recent Presidential Election. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jun 8;376(23):2295-9.
Anwar H, Khan QU. Pathology and Therapeutics of COVID-19: A Review. Int J Med Students. 2020 May-Aug;8(2):113-20
American Medical Association. Applications to medical school up big: Is it the "Fauci effect"?. Available from: https://www.ama-assn.org/residents-students/preparing-medical-school/applications-medical-school-big-it-fauci-effect. Last updated December 18, 2020; cited Jan 1, 2021.
Liu Z, Ciasis P, Deng Z, Lei R, Davis SJ, Feng S et al. Near-real-time monitoring of global CO2 emissions reveals the effects of COVID-19 pandemic. Nat Commun. 2020 Oct 14;11(1):5172.
Ngo HG, Gibney BL, Patel P, Nguyen JL. COVID-19: Using Social Media to Promote Mental Health in Medical School During the Pandemic. Int J Med Students. 2020 Sep-Dec;8(3):305-6.
Ho CP, Chong A, Narayan A, Cooke EA, Dang F, Agrawal V, et al. Mitigating Asian American Bias and Xenophobia in Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic: How You Can Be an Upstander. J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 Dec 17;(12):1692-4.
US News and World Report. Time Magazine Names BTS Its Entertainer of the Year. Available from: https://www.usnews.com/news/entertainment/articles/2020-12-10/time-magazine-namesbts-its-entertainer-of-the-year. Last updated December 10, 2020; cited Jan 2, 2021.
Breaux, H. Editorial: Crayons and People are not for Consumption: A Social Work Discourse on Crayola’s New Box. Child Adolesc Soc Work J. 2020 Aug 1;37:459–61.
Copyright (c) 2021 Jae H. Yoo, Nathaniel P. Mercer
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to email@example.com
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org