Postoperative and Postpartum Onset of Chronic Parkinsonism: Four Case Reports
Background: Certain environmental exposures have been linked to the development of parkinsonism. We report four cases in which the onset of chronic parkinsonism occurred immediately or soon after surgery or childbirth. Results: Exposure to certain anesthetic agents in susceptible individuals or the physiological changes associated with surgery or childbirth may have contributed to or precipitated the development of parkinsonism. Conclusion: Clinicians should be aware that postoperative or postpartum settings are potential precipitants of chronic parkinsonism. More research is needed to clarify contributing factors.
2. Janis KM. Acute rigidity with small intravenous dose of Innovar. A case report. Anesth Analg. 1972;51(3):375-6.
3. Goldberg M, Ishak S, Garcia C, McKenna J. Postoperative rigidity following sufentanil administration. Anesthesiology. 1985;63(2):199-201.
4. Klausner JM, Caspi J, Lelcuk S, Khazam A, Marin G, Hechtman HB, et al. De¬layed muscular rigidity and respiratory depression following fentanyl anes¬thesia. Arch Surg. 1988;123(1):66-7.
5. Easdown LJ, Tessler MJ, Minuk J. Upper airway involvement in Parkin¬son's disease resulting in postoperative respiratory failure. Can J Anaesth. 1995;42(4):344-7.
6. el-Maghrabi EA, Eckenhoff RG. Inhibition of dopamine transport in rat bra¬in synaptosomes by volatile anesthetics. Anesthesiology. 1993;78(4):750-6.
7. Mantz J, Varlet C, Lecharny JB, Henzel D, Lenot P, Desmonts JM. Effects of volatile anesthetics, thiopental, and ketamine on spontaneous and depola¬rization-evoked dopamine release from striatal synaptosomes in the rat. Anesthesiology. 1994;80(2):352-63.
8. Nicholson G, Pereira AC, Hall GM. Parkinson's disease and anaesthe¬sia. Br J Anaesth. 2002;89(6):904-16.
9. Demirkiran M, Aslan K, Bicakci S, Bozdemir H, Ozeren A. Transient parkinsonism: induced by progesterone or pregnancy? Mov Disord. 2004;19(11):1382-4.
10. Kranick SM, Mowry EM, Colcher A, Horn S, Golbe LI. Movement disorders and pregnancy: a review of the literature. Mov Disord. 2010;25(6):665-71.
11. Dong Y, Zhang G, Zhang B, Moir RD, Xia W, Marcantonio ER, et al. The common inhalational anesthetic sevoflurane induces apop¬tosis and increases beta-amyloid protein levels. Arch Neurol. 2009;66(5):620-31.
12. Chen WH, Lin HS, Kao YF, Lan MY, Liu JS. Postoperative parkin¬sonism and lupus anticoagulant: a model of autoantibody-mediated neurotoxicity in stress. Brain Inj. 2007;21(5):539-43.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to email@example.com
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org