Shared Decision Making and Effective Physician-Patient Communication: The Quintessence of Patient-Centered Care
2. Gerteiss M, Edgman-Levitan S, Daley J, Delbanco TL, editors. Through the patient's eyes: understanding and promoting patient-centered care. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 1993.
3. Saha S, Beach MC, Cooper LA. Patient centeredness, cultural competence and healthcare quality. J Natl Med Assoc. 2008 Nov;100(11):1275-85.
4. Rathert C, Wyrwich MD, Boren SA. Patient-centered care and outcomes: a systematic review of the literature. Med Care Res Rev. 2013 Aug;70(4):351-79.
5. McMillan SS, Kendall E, Sav A, King MA, Whitty JA, Kelly F, et al. Patient-cen¬tered approaches to health care: a systematic review of randomized contro¬lled trials. Med Care Res Rev. 2013 Dec;70(6):567-96.
6. Weiner SJ, Schwartz A, Sharma G, Binns-Calvey A, Ashley N, Kelly B, et al. Patient-centered decision making and health care outcomes: an observatio¬nal study. Ann Intern Med. 2013 Apr 16;158(8):573-9.
7. Nelson KM, Helfrich C, Sun H, Hebert PL, Liu CF, Dolan E, et al. Implementation of the patient-centered medical home in the veterans health administration: associations with patient satisfaction, quality of care, staff burnout, and hospi¬tal and emergency department use. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Aug;174(8):1350-8.
8. Kern LM, Edwards A, Kaushal R. The patient-centered medical home, electro¬nic health records, and quality of care. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Jun 3;160(11):741-9.
9. Barry MJ, Edgman-Levitan S. Shared decision making — the pinnacle of patient-centered care. N Engl J Med. 2012 Mar 1;366(9):780-1.
10. Coulter A, Collins A. Making shared decision-making a reality: no decision about me, without me. London: The King's Fund; 2011.
11. Shafir A, Rosenthal J. Shared decision making: advancing patient-cente¬red care through state and federal implementation. Portland (ME): National Academy for State Health Policy; 2012.
12. Kon AA. The shared decision-making continuum. JAMA. 2010 Aug 25;304(8):903-4.
13. American Medical Association, Ethical Force ProgramTM Oversight Body. An Ethical Force ProgramTM consensus report: improving communication— improving care. Chicago (IL): American Medical Association; 2006.
14. Street RL Jr, Makoul G, Arora NK, Epstein RM. How does communication heal? Pathways linking clinician-patient communication to health outcomes. Patient Educ Couns. 2009 Mar;74(3):295-301.
15. White RO, Eden S, Wallston KA, Kripalani S, Barto S, Shintani A, et al. Health communication, self-care, and treatment satisfaction among low-income diabe¬tes patients in a public health setting. Patient Educ Couns. 2015 Feb;98(2):144-9.
16. Zolnierek KB, DiMatteo MR. Physician communication and patient adhe¬rence to treatment: a meta-analysis. Med Care. 2009 Aug;47(8):826-34.
17. Priebe S, McCabe R, Bullenkamp J, Hansson L, Lauber C, Martinez-Leal R, et al. Structured patient-clinician communication and 1-year outcome in community mental healthcare: cluster randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry. 2007 Nov;191(5):420-6.
18. Trummer UF, Mueller UO, Nowak P, Stidl T, Pelikan JM. Does physician-pa¬tient communication that aims at empowering patients improve clinical out¬come? A case study. Patient Educ Couns. 2006 May;61(2):299-306.
19. Mira JJ, Orozco-Beltrán D, Pérez-jover V, Martínez-Jimeno L, Gil-Guillén VF, Carratala-Munuera C, et al. Physician patient communication failure facilita¬tes medication errors in older polymedicated patients with multiple comor¬bidities. Fam Pract. 2013 Feb;30(1):56-63.
20. Colloca L, Finniss D. Nocebo effects, patient-clinician communication, and therapeutic outcomes. JAMA. 2012 Feb 8;307(6):567-8.
21. DiSalvo DS. A medical student experience: adding value and emotional su¬pport to patient interactions. Int J Med Students. 2014 Nov-2015 Mar;3(1):63-4.
22. DiSalvo DS. The meaning of "do no harm": a medical student perspective. Int J Med Students. 2014 Nov-2015 Mar;3(1):65-6.
23. Couët N, Desroches S, Robitaille H, Vaillancourt H, Leblanc A, Turcotte S, et al. Assess¬ments of the extent to which health-care providers involve patients in decision making: a systematic review of studies using the OPTION instrument. Health Expect. 2013 Mar 4.
24. Olson DP, Windish DM. Communication discrepancies between physicians and hospitalized patients. Arch Intern Med. 2010 Aug 9;170(15):1302-7.
25. Greenfield S, Kaplan S, Ware JE Jr. Expanding patient involvement in care. Effects on patient outcomes. Ann Intern Med. 1985 Apr;102(4):520-8.
26. Fowler FJ Jr, Gerstein BS, Barry MJ. How patient centered are medical deci¬sions? Results of a national survey. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Jul 8;173(13):1215-21.
27. Hesselink G, Flink M, Olsson M, Barach P, Dudzik-Urbaniak E, Orrego C, et al. Are pa¬tients discharged with care? A qualitative study of perceptions and experiences of pa¬tients, family members and care providers. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012 Dec;21(Suppl 1):i39-49.
28. Heyland DK, Barwich D, Pichora D, Dodek P, Lamontagne F, You JJ, et al. Failure to engage hospitalized elderly patients and their families in advance care planning. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 May 13;173(9):778-87.
29. Légaré F, Ratté S, Gravel K, Graham ID. Barriers and facilitators to implemen¬ting shared decision-making in clinical practice: update of a systematic review of health professionals' perceptions. Patient Educ Couns. 2008 Dec;73(3):526-35.
30. Légaré F, Thompson-Leduc P. Twelve myths about shared decision ma¬king. Patient Educ Couns. 2014 Sep;96(3):281-6.
31. Stacey D, Légaré F, Col NF, Bennett CL, Barry MJ, Eden KB, et al. Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Jan 28;1:CD001431.
32. Smith SK, Dixon A, Trevena L, Nutbeam D, McCaffery KJ. Exploring patient involvement in healthcare decision making across different education and functional health literacy groups. Soc Sci Med. 2009 Dec;69(12):1805-12.
33. Joseph-Williams N, Elwyn G, Edwards A. Knowledge is not power for patients: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of patient-reported barriers and fa-cilitators to shared decision making. Patient Educ Couns. 2014 Mar;94(3):291-309.
34. Frosch DL, May SG, Rendle KA, Tietbohl C, Elwyn G. Authoritarian physi¬cians and patients' fear of being labeled 'difficult' among key obstacles to shared decision making. Health Aff. 2012 May;31(5):1030-8.
35. Shay LA, Lafata JE. Understanding patient perceptions of shared decision making. Patient Educ Couns. 2014 Sep;96(3):295-301.
36. Fiks AG, Hughes CC, Gafen A, Guevara JP, Barg FK. Contrasting parents' and pediatricians' perspectives on shared decision-making in ADHD. Pediatrics. 2011 Jan;127(1):e188-96.
37. Shay LA, Lafata JE. Where is the evidence? A systematic review of shared decision making and patient outcomes. Med Decis Mak. 2015 Jan;35(1):114-31.
38. Levinson W, Pizzo PA. Patient-physican communication: it's about time. JAMA. 2011 May 4;305(17):1802-3.
39. Levinson W, Lesser CS, Epstein RM. Developing physician communication skills for patient-centered care. Health Aff. 2010 Jul;29(7):1310-8.
40. Levinson W. Patient-centred communication: a sophisticated procedure. BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 Oct;20(10):823-5.
41. Légaré F, Turcotte S, Stacey D, Ratté S, Kryworuchko J, Graham ID. Patients perceptions of sharing in decisions: a systematic review of interventions to en-hance shared decision making in routine clinical practice. Patient. 2012;5(1):1-19.
42. Dwamena F, Holmes-Rovner M, Gaulden CM, Jorgenson S, Sadigh G, Sikorskii A, et al. Interventions for providers to promote a patient-centred approach in clinical consultations. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Dec 12;12:CD003267.
43. Coulter A. Patient engagement—what works? J Ambul Care Manage. 2012 Apr-Jun;35(2):80-9.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com