Mexican Medical Students Protest During COVID-19 Pandemic
Keywords:COVID-19, SARS-Cov-2, Doctors
During February 2021, a protest was organized by Mexican medical students through social media. About 200 interns, social service physicians and physicians protested peacefully in front of the city hall of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, the capital of Mexico's second largest metropolitan area. Due to the current contingency situation, it was requested to attend with face shield and masks. The reason for the protest was to raise their voice due to the precarious situation where social service physicians are sent to rural areas of the country in which they have all the obligations of workers but without belonging to the working class - lacking the the benefits of this same as a living wage or fair working hours. The protesters were in limbo between student and worker. The protest also demanded justice for the sensitive death of young doctors due to malpractice situations of the Mexican authorities. We believe that a total reform of the social service in medicine is necessary. It is the responsibility of the authorities to cover the rural areas with permanently trained doctors without depending on recently graduated doctors. It is always important to assert our fundamental rights, including the right to protest in a peaceful manner.
Martínez-Rodríguez JC, García-Chong NR, Trujillo-Olivera LE, Noriero-Escalante L. Inseguridad alimentaria y vulnerabilidad social en chiapas: el rostro de la pobreza [Food insecurity and social vulnerability in chiapas : the face of poverty]. Nutr Hosp. 2014 Dec 1;31(1):475-81. Spanish.
Domínguez P. Muerte de Doctora en Chiapas refleja que falta un camino largo contra violencia de género: Segob [Death of doctor in Chiapas reflects that there is still a long way to go against gender violence: Segob]. Milenio. Available from: https://www.milenio.com/politica/muerte-doctora-chiapas-camino-violencia-genero Last updated February 1, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021
Heraldo de México. Muere médico interno por Covid-19; denuncian negligencia [Medical intern dies from Covid-19; negligence reported]. Available from: https://heraldodemexico.com.mx/nacional/2021/1/7/muere-medico-interno-por-covid-19-denuncian-negligencia-242718.html. Last updated January 7, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021.
Martín F and Guiérrez O. CNDH y colegios de medicos exigen justicia para Mariana [CNDH and medical associations demand justice for Mariana]. El Universal. Available from: https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/cndh-y-colegios-de-medicos-exigen-justicia-para-mariana. Last updated January 31, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021.
Echeverría M. Exigen justicia por Mariana; se manifiesta personal de salud en CO [Demand justice for Mariana; health personnel protest in CO]. Availble from: https://www.elimparcial.com/sonora/ciudadobregon/Exigen-justicia-por-Mariana-se-manifiesta-personal-de-salud-en-CO-20210204-0018.html. Last updated February 4, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021
Gutiérrez O. Estudiantes de Medicina en Chiapas marchan en protesta por el asesinato de Mariana [Medical students in Chiapas march in protest of Mariana's murder]. El Imparcial. Availble from: https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/chiapas-estudiantes-de-medicina-en-chiapas-marchan-en-protesta-por-el-asesinato-de-mariana Last updated February 5, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021
Cuen, A. “Ni una más”; pasantes alzan la voz en Obregón y exigen justicia para Mariana [“Not one more”; interns raise their voices in Obregon and demand justice for Mariana]. Expreso. Available from: https://www.expreso.com.mx/seccion/sonora/284855-ni-una-mas-pasantes-alzan-la-voz-en-obregon-y-exigen-justicia-para-mariana.html Last updated February 4, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021
Nigenda G. Servicio social en medicina en México: una reforma urgente y posible [Social service in medicine in Mexico: an urgent and possible reform]. Salud Publica Mex. 2013 Sep-Oct;55(5):519-27.
Secretaria de Gobernación. NORMA Oficial Mexicana NOM-009-SSA3-2013, Educación en Salud. Criterios para la utilización de los establecimientos para la atención médica como campos clínicos para la prestación del servicio social de medicina y estomatología [Mexican Official Standard NOM-009-SSA3-2013, Health Education. Criteria for the use of health care facilities as clinical fields for the provision of social service in medicine and stomatology]. DOF. Available from: https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5354092&fecha=28/07/2014. Last updated July 28, 2014; cited Apr 12, 2021.
Estrada, A. Inseguridad. Médicos pasantes: Acorralados [Social service physiciands: Rounded up]. El Universal. Available from: https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/seguridad/pasantes-de-medicina-acorralados-por-la-inseguridad. Last updated March 12, 2018; cited Feb 9, 2021.
Cámara de Diputados del H. Congreso de la Unión. Ley Federal del Trabajo [Federal Labor Law]. DOF. Available from: http://www.stps.gob.mx/bp/secciones/junta_federal/secciones/consultas/ley_federal.html last updated June 13, 2014; cited Apr 12, 2021.
Graue Wiechers E. Perspectivas en el futuro cercano [Perspectives for the near future]. Gac Med Mex. 2012 May-Jun;148(3):294-301
Villegas G. Exigen pasantes de medicina mejores condiciones [Social service phyisicians demand better conditions]. El Norte. Availble from: https://www.elnorte.com/aplicacioneslibre/preacceso/articulo/default.aspx?__rval=1&urlredirect=https://www.elnorte.com/exigen-pasantes-de-medicina-mejores-condiciones/ar2120237?referer=--7d616165662f3a3a6262623b727a7a7279703b767a783a-- Last updated February 1, 2021; cited Feb 9, 2021
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site; with the understanding that the above condition can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from the Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Enforcement of copyright
The IJMS takes the protection of copyright very seriously.
If the IJMS discovers that you have used its copyright materials in contravention of the license above, the IJMS may bring legal proceedings against you seeking reparation and an injunction to stop you using those materials. You could also be ordered to pay legal costs.
If you become aware of any use of the IJMS' copyright materials that contravenes or may contravene the license above, please report this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you become aware of any material on the website that you believe infringes your or any other person's copyright, please report this by email to email@example.com